-->
SITE UPDATE: as of April 11th 2006, this site is no longer being updated, if you are not being redirected, please click and bookmark my new site: http://www.sanfranciscodailyphoto.com/

> Monday, January 23, 2006: Watch Out For The Fog

 
<
(click the thumbnail above for a larger format)

There are two San Francisco landmarks on this shot: the fog and the Golden Gate bridge (if you look really closely, you can see the bottom of the south tower... I promise!). When the fog takes over the city, at least, three things happen: it gets dark, it gets cold and the fog horns start to blast. And that entire process often takes less than 30 minutes. I captured this scene a couple of days ago and I liked the shot because the contrast between the brightness of the sun behind the layer of fog and the darkness of the streets that have already been taken over, pretty much speaks for itself.

> view this location on a map


Comments:

This is quite frightening :)
Never got the chance to see more than SF's airport (shame), but I've landed twice in foggy conditions, and it was very dark...
(submitted on January 24, 2006)
 

It's too dark on my computer. I can only see the sky. Manuel do you use Picasa to post the pictures? (submitted on January 24, 2006)  

The picture is indeed vey dark but interesting though! I had no idea that the weather could be bad in San Francisco. Here is the end of a myth for me! (submitted on January 24, 2006)  

Bonjour!

What a great picture! I remember shopping for a scarf two summers ago as it was so cold, because of the fog!

I am so glad that I found your blog. I visit your site everyday. Makes me wish to be in SFO... instead of Québec City, under the snow!

Continuez votre bon travail!

Mélissa
(submitted on January 24, 2006)
 

Thank you all for the comments!

Eric: :-( The bottom part of the photo is pretty dark, but you should be able to see some houses. I'm not using Picasa, should I? If you have a minute (yeah, I know...) would you mind sending me a screen capture, I'd like to see how it looks on your end... there's no point in posting photos if people can't see them....

Amande: it depends what you mean by bad... for remembering winters in Europe pretty vividly, I really don't think it's that bad here... ;-)

Melissa: that sounds familiar... there's quite a business going on here for visitors to buy warmer clothes (especially around the piers).

Manuel
(submitted on January 24, 2006)
 

Yes, I've heard it's pretty windy too around there... (submitted on January 24, 2006)  

I like this shot, almost looks like a blanket covering the city.

Looking at the photos here makes me realize how much I miss San Francisco...even with the fog.
(submitted on January 27, 2006)
 

ahhh - the wall of fog coming in to san francsico - almost like the 8th wonder of the world. how hauntingly eerie it is. i TOTALLY love san francisco, but probably would slit my wrists living in such a cool, dark city as much as it is throughout the year. (submitted on January 30, 2006)  



Post a Comment



> return to home page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Top100Bloggers.com

directories: blogarama | blogsweet | bloghub | bloggeries | photolinks
(if I forgot to list your city, please let me know, I can't keep up these days!)


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License


free website hit counter